The Pfeiffer Legacy
At Pfeiffer, we build community.
Upholding established Pfeiffer traditions and creating new traditions drives our community-building efforts. Traditions foster connections between students, faculty, staff and alumni and enhance engagement with the Pfeiffer campus.
Pfeiffer’s community-building traditions include:
- Pfeiffer Journey
- Campus Ministry
- Servant Leadership
- Living-Learning Communities
- Mission Trips
- Community Service
- Athletics Participation
- Campus Recreation
- Peer Mentoring
- International Experiences
Learn more about the events, programs, activities and organizations that make Pfeiffer truly unique.
Pfeiffer University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges to award baccalaureate and master’s degrees.
1866 Southern Lane
Decatur, G.A. 30033-4097
Pfeiffer University is currently accredited as a private, not-for-profit university; its next reaffirmation will occur in 2022.
Pfeiffer University originated from the Oberlin Home and School, a homeschool developed by Miss Emily C. Prudden in 1885. In 1903, the Women's Home Missionary Society of the Methodist Episcopal Church agreed to assume responsibility for the Oberlin property, and on June 8, 1903, the Oberlin school was renamed the Ebenezer Mitchell Home and School. The Mitchell Home and School then moved to the current property in Misenheimer, issuing the first high school diplomas in 1913.
A junior college curriculum was added in 1928, and the school was renamed Mitchell Junior College. The introduction of elementary studies by county schools permitted the school to eliminate lower grades and to direct its efforts toward collegiate level work.
In honor of Henry and Annie Merner Pfeiffer of New York City, the name Pfeiffer Junior College was first used for the 1935-1936 academic year. Pfeiffer broadened its program to include senior college work in 1960. Thirty-six years later in May of 1996, the Board of Trustees voted to reorganize Pfeiffer's academic structure toward university status.
The Charlotte campus opened in 1977 with undergraduate classes in Criminal Justice, and the first graduate program followed in 1985. Additionally, the Raleigh-Durham campus opened in 2004, offering a variety of graduate programs.
Since its founding, Pfeiffer has consistently grown in academic excellence, developing new programs to meet student needs and emphasizing the ideals of Christian service.