A Brief History of Pfeiffer
Pfeiffer University originated from the Oberlin Home and School, a home-school developed by Miss Emily C. Prudden in 1885. In 1903, the Women's Home Missionary Society of the Methodist Episcopal Church agreed to assume responsibility for the Oberlin property, and on June 8, 1903, the Oberlin school was renamed the Ebenezer Mitchell Home and School. The Mitchell Home and School then moved to Misenheimer on the present property, and high school diplomas were issued in 1913.
A junior college curriculum was added in 1928, and the school was renamed Mitchell Junior College. The introduction of elementary studies by county schools permitted the school to eliminate lower grades and to direct its efforts toward collegiate level work.
The name Pfeiffer Junior College was first used for the 1935-1936 academic year in honor of Henry and Annie Merner Pfeiffer of New York City, and Pfeiffer broadened its program to include senior college work in 1960. Their generosity allowed for the construction of four brick buildings and President's Home. Thirty-six years later in May of 1996, the Board of Trustees voted to reorganize Pfeiffer's academic structure towards university status.
The Charlotte Campus opened in 1977 with undergraduate classes in Criminal Justice, and the first graduate program followed in 1985. Additionally, the Raleigh-Durham Campus opened in 2004 and offers a variety of graduate programs.
Since its founding, Pfeiffer has continually grown in academic excellence, developing new programs to meet the needs of its students and emphasizing the ideals of Christian service.