Master of Arts in Teaching
Share energy. Inspire children. Serve community.
The Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) program prepares teachers to provide high-quality, research-based instruction and behavior support to students who learn on the general curriculum level. In addition to your coursework, you’ll gain practical, hands-on experience in the field to apply the ideas and techniques introduced in class. Throughout the course of study, you’ll demonstrate your planning, analytical, and critical thinking skills as well as practice the principles of servant leadership.
Successful completion of Phase I of the program and passing scores on the required licensure exams lead to recommendations for licensure as a teacher in North Carolina. Upon completion of Phase II, candidates qualify for the master’s degree and advanced-level licensure.
The MAT graduate program, in the Division of Education, is available online and as a hybrid option at our Charlotte campus. The program is approved by the North Carolina Department of Public Instruction (NCDPI) and is designed to fit your schedule.
Master of Arts in Teaching requires 36-semester hours.
Phase I: Initial Level (24 SH)
- EDUC 604 Development and Learning 3
- EDUC 605 Diversity & Exceptionalities 3
- SPED 604 Matching Instruction to Student Needs 2
- SPED 612 Assessment of Students with Diverse Learning Needs 2
- EDUC 6xx Research and Practice in Social-Emotional Learning 2
Specialty Area Coursework (12 SH)
Choose 12 semester hours in consultation with an advisor specific to the initial licensure area
- EDUC 611 Mathematics: Curriculum, Instruction, Assessment 3
- EDUC 657 Integrating the Curriculum 3
- EDUC 658 Teaching 21st Cent Literacy in the Multicultural Classroom 3
- EDUC 603 Technology for 21st Century Classroom 3
- EDUC 6xx Research and Practice in Secondary Education 3
- SPED 607 Collaboration & Instructional Delivery in SPED 3
- HPED 6xx Research and Practice in Elem Health & Phys Education 3
- HPED 6xx Research and Practice in Second Health & Phys Education 3
- EDUC 621A Internship in Elementary Education 3
- SPED 621A Internship in Special Education 3
- HPED 621A Internship in Health & Physical Education 3
- EDUC 621D Internship in Secondary Education 3
- EDUC 622 Foundations of Teaching Practice 3
Phase II: Advanced Level - (12 SH)
- EDUC 660 Research and Assessment 3
- EDUC 661 Instructional Leadership for Diverse Setting 3
- EDUC 614 Master’s Project 3
- EDUC 659 Clinical Experience and Seminar 3
For descriptions of courses, visit the academic catalog.
Admission for individuals pursuing the Master of Arts in Teaching degree with initial licensure endorsement through the Division of Education at Pfeiffer University consists of:
- a completed application for the MAT program through the Admissions Office at Pfeiffer (explore.pfeiffer.edu);
- an earned baccalaureate degree with a grade point average of 2.75 or higher OR qualifying scores on the Praxis CORE examinations offered through ETS;
- official transcripts of all academic work completed at the college/university level;
- qualifying scores on the required licensure exams prescribed by the NC Department of Public Instruction (NCDPI) OR appropriate coursework relevant to the desired licensure endorsement area;
- two references using the Division of Education reference form/disposition survey; and
- an essay based on the Division of Education prompt.
Teacher Education Performance Data
Pfeiffer University has a 93 percent job placement rate and is respected for the quality of classroom preparation provided through our interactive program. To learn more, review our teacher education performance data reports:
- Teacher Education Performance Data, 2009-13
- IHE Bachelor Performance Report, 2011-12
- IHE Master's Performance Report, 2011-12
- IHE Bachelor Performance Report, 2012-13
- IHE Master's Performance Report, 2012-13
Division of Education Information
Visit the Division of Education to find out more information about:
- How to apply for admission to the education program
- How our student teaching program works
- Education-specific scholarship programs
Tuition & Fees
Would you like to become a teacher? Pursue a rewarding career with your MAT degree!
Ready to get started? Apply now.
Graduate and Degree Completion Enrollment
Have questions? Just ask!