Frequently Asked Questions

What is the Pfeiffer University Federal School Code?

When do I apply for Financial Assistance?
The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is available for completion January 1 for the upcoming academic year.  Hint:  The FAFSA should be completed around Federal Tax Time.  Beginning in January of each year, FAFSA sends email reminders to all returning students.  The FAFSA and all required Pfeiffer documentation must be submitted in a timely manner to ensure all issues can be resolved before the first day of class.

How do I speak with a Financial Aid Counselor?
Every student, regardless of Admissions status, has access to a financial aid counselor through phone, email and online chat.  You should receive a response to your communication (be it phone or email) within 24 hours of the initial request.
What are the Financial Aid Office Hours?
Misenheimer Campus 
Mon. - Fri. 8 a.m.-5 p.m.
Charlotte Campus 
Mon.- Thurs. 9:30 a.m.-6 p.m.
Fri. 9:30a.m.-4 p.m.
Online Office Hours 
Mon.-Fri. 8 a.m.-10 a.m.
Mon.-Fri. 11:30a.m.-4:30p.m.
Should I ask my Admissions Counselor about Financial Aid or submit Financial Aid paperwork to them?
If you have questions regarding your Financial Aid, speak with the Financial Aid Office as indicated below:  The rules and regulations change frequently, and although your counselor may have your best interest in mind academically, they may not always be award of rules regarding dropped hours, required GPA's, federal regulations, policies, timelines, and proper procedures.  Anyone in the Financial Aid Office can answer your Financial Aid Questions if you can't reach your appropriate representative listed below.
Misenheimer Students 
Amy Brown Director of Financial Aid (704) 463-3046
Diane Martin Financial Aid Counselor (704) 463-3052
Stephanie Stroupe Financial Aid Counselor (704) 463-3015
Graduate Students 
Lorri Connor Financial Aid Counselor (704) 945-7309
Adult Undergraduate Students 
Lorri Connor  Financial Aid Counselor (704) 945-7309
How do I access my Financial Aid Information Online?
Once you are accepted and enrolled, Financial Aid information can be viewed on

What is Financial Need?
Financial Need is the difference between the estimated cost of attendance and the amount a student is expected to contribute to the cost of their education.  The amount a student is able to contribute to their education is determined by the FAFSA (known as the Expected Family Contribution or EFC).

Where do I complete the FAFSA?

What happens after completing the FAFSA? 
  1. Undergraduate Students
  2. Adult Undergraduate Students
  3. Graduate Students

Will Financial Aid cover all my educational and living expenses?
The Federal Government states the primary responsibility of financing a college education belongs to the student and his or her family.  Financial assistance is offered to students who cannot provide all the funds needed and is intended to supplement what the student can contribute towards their educational cost.  Also, most funds are limited.  We cannot guarantee we will be able to meet the entire need of all students who qualify for assistance.

Requirements for Maintaining Financial Assistance
To receive and maintain financial assistance from Federal, State,or Institutional sources, students must conform to the following standards of satisfactory progress:

  1. Maintain at least the standards for academic eligibility outlined in the Pfeiffer University Catalog.  Certain scholarships and grants require a higher grade point average; this information is available from the Office of Financial Aid.
  2. Some financial aid can be limited to the equivalent of 8 full-time semesters or four academic years.  For transfer students, this limitation is adjusted in accordance with the number of hours accepted in transfer
  3. Any student rendered ineligible for failure to maintain satisfactory progress must meet the stated grade point averages consistent with the number of stated hours attempted before assistance can be reinstated.  Any student readmitted after a period of suspension or dismissal will be ineligible to receive financial assistance until reinstated with the conditions above.

How is Financial Aid Awarded?
After receipt of all required information (i.e. results from FAFSA, taxes, verification forms, Default status, Loan eligiblity, etc), the Financial Aid Office will evaluate your information and your availibility of funds.  If you are eligible for funding, process your aid, and mail an award letter listing your eligibility for the academic year.

How will my enrollment status affect my Financial Aid?
The number or credit hours you are enrolled determines your enrollment status.  For undergraduate students, 6 credit hours is considered half-time and 12 credit hours is considered full-time.  Some Financial Aid programs are awarded based on full-time enrollment; if you drop below full-time enrollment the Financial Aid Office will review your awards and make adjustments.  In some cases funds will be returned to the program or the lender.  As a result, you will have to pay Pfeiffer out-of-pocket the difference of what was returned.  If payment is not made, a hold will be placed on your account, you will not be allowed to register for an upcoming term, nor will you be eligible to receive your grade report.

Will my enrollment status affect my previous loans?
If you have previously borrowed under the Federal Stafford Loan program, you will not enter repayment until you drop to less than half-time status, graduate, or withdraw.  To avoid entering repayment, be sure to enroll each semester at least half-time.

How much can I borrow in Stafford loans in an academic year?
A number of factors determine how much a student may borrow. The annual maximum for each undergraduate grade level is:
Dependent Undergraduates (excluding dependent students whose parents can't get PLUS)
  Number of  Credits Subsidized Total (subsidized & unsubsidized)
First Year 0- 25 $3500 $5500
Second Year 26- 55 $4500 $6500
Third Year & Beyond 56-   $5500 $7500
Independent Undergraduates & Dependant Students whose parents can't get PLUS

  Number of Credits Subsidized Total (subsidized & unsubsidized)
First Year 0- 25 $3500 $9500
Second Year 26- 55 $4500 $10500
Third Year & Beyond 56-   $5500 $12500

Graduate & Professional Students (all years)

Subsidized Total (Subsidized & Unsubsidized)
$8500 $20500
Who is my lender and how do I contact them?
Prior to June 30th 2010, lender were chosen by the student (aka FFELP loans).  For Stafford and Plus Loans disbursed after July 1st, 2010 your lender is the Department of Education (aka Direct Loans).  You may contact them either online, via Phone (800.848.0979), Fax (800.848.0984) or TDD(800.848.0983). 
Why is it taking so long to receive my Financial Aid Award?
The Financial Aid Process takes 4-6 weeks from the time the FAFSA is completed (8-12 weeks during peak processing times).  In some cases, the FAFSA is selected for Verification (either by the Department of Education or by the Financial Aid Office).  We require the Verification Worksheet signed by the student and parent (if a dependent student) and Federal Tax documents.  If any of these documents are not submitted or are incomplete, no Financial Aid can be processed.  In the event that conflicting information is provided on the FAFSA and the Verification documents, we may request additional documentation.  Also all new students who are Stafford Loan borrowers are required to complete a Master Promissory Note & Entrance Counseling at before funds may be processed and released.

Where is my Student Loan?
First, make sure you have accepted your aid by signing and returning your award letter each time one is mailed to you.  Accepted loans are transmitted electronically to lenders after the Financial Aid Office receives your signed award letter.  New borrowers must complete a Master Promissory Note & Entrance Counseling at  Students borrowing Alternative Loans must alert the Financial Aid office when they have secured a loan and the Financial Aid Office will certify the students loan with the correct lender, and may be disbursed to the Business Office via papercheck from the lenders and must be endorsed by the student in the Business Office.  Plus Loan funds are disbursed electronically to Pfeiffer, and funds will be released to the student pending eligibility; Once the disbursement has been received at the Business Office (either electronically or by papercheck), please allow 48-72 hours for internal processing.

My lender says that my funds have been released to Pfeiffer, where is my refund?
Make certain you have applied for and confirmed your aid.  You must be enrolled at least half-time (6 credit hours for Undergraduate students and 3 credits for Grad Students) to receive aid.  New Undergraduate and Graduate Students receiving the Stafford Loan must sign a Master Promissory Note and complete the Loan Entrance Counseling at before the funds can be released. You can access guides to these applications online at Stafford Loan Master Promissory Note or Parent Plus Loan Master Promissory Note.

All I have are Stafford and/or Parent Plus Loans; why can't I receive them when I am not making Satisfactory Academic Progress?
Contrary to popular belief, Stafford Loans and Parent Plus Loans (although they are in the parent's name) ARE financial aid because the funding is provided by the Federal Government.  Aid provided by the Federal Government falls into the category of Title IV Aid and these funds are subject to the rules and regulations of an individual school's Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy.

Can I get Financial Aid for the Summer Term(s)?
Summer financial aid is awarded pending a review of each studen'ts eligibility.  To apply, you must first register for your classes and then submit a Summer Direct Stafford Loan Request Form.  Students are only eligible for student loans in the summer term(s). We anticipate beginning our review of summer aid applications at the same time Summer registration begins.

How do I apply for Summer Aid?
If you completed the FAFSA, for Fall and/or spring term(s), you only need to complete the Stafford Loan Request Form for the Summer Term. If this is your first term, you need to complete a prior year FAFSA even if you did not attend the Fall or Spring term.
I applied for Financial Aid and Scholarships last year, do I need to do anything for the new academic year?
YES.  Financial Aid MUST be applied for every academic year, which consists of Fall, Spring and Summer.  If you plan on continuing to use Financial Aid, you must submit a FAFSA or renewal FAFSA.
What is a Federal Student Loan?
Federal Loans are borrowed funds that you must repay with interest.  A Federal Student Loan allows students and their parents to borrow money to help pay for college through loan programs supported by the Federal Government. Beginning July 1, 2010 all new Stafford and Plus Loans will be made under the William D. Ford Federal Direct Loan Program (Direct Loan Program). In the Direct Loan Program, the U.S. Government is the lender, and loan funds are provided to students through their school.
Why are Federal Student Loans a better option for paying for college?
These include low fixed interest rates, income-based repayment plans, cancellations for certain employment, and deferment (postponment) options, including deferement of loan payments when a student returns to school.  For these reasons, students and parents should always exhaust Federal Student Loan Options before considering a Private (or Alternative) loan.

Share this on your favorite sites: