The Piedmont Institute for Communication, Music and Art (PICMA)
Spreading arts and culture across the Piedmont and beyond.
To be a cultural center for Pfeiffer University and the Piedmont.
Pfeiffer Pre-College Choral Academy
Open to all High School students entering Grades 9-12.
Do you love to sing?
Then consider our High School Choral Institute, a unique summer performance experience for high school students. This week-long residential program focuses on improving students' musicianship, vocal technique, and choral performance skills.
- Immerse yourself in music and be free of outside distractions
- Learn and polish choral repertoire in preparation for a final Music Institute Concert
- Develop vocal performance skills in group and private settings
- Strengthen basic musicianship (music theory, sight-reading, aural skills)
- Build relationships and valuable connections with peers
- Learn and polish audition repertoire and techniques for future musical endeavors
- Develop transferable skills such as independence, creativity, problem solving and teamwork in a musical setting
- Learn what it feels like to be involved in music in a collegiate setting
To register click here.
For questions contact:
Mr. Joe Judge
Competitions for High School students in Creative Writing, Communication, Music, and Art.
Emerging Writers Competition
This Emerging Writers Contest is open to high school students and students currently enrolled in community college. Sponsored by The Piedmont Institute of Communication, Art and Music (PICMA), this contest highlights writers with the publication, a reading, a cash prize, and a sponsorship option.
The prizes will be as follows:
- First Prize: $5,000/ year scholarship to Pfeiffer University pending acceptance and $250 cash, and a public performance during The Phoenix’s Launch Party Event in April 2020.
- Second Prize: $3,000/ year scholarship to Pfeiffer University pending acceptance and $125 cash, and a public performance during The Phoenix’s Launch Party Event in April 2020.
- Third Prize: $2,000/ year scholarship to Pfeiffer University pending acceptance and $75 cash, and a public performance during The Phoenix’s Launch Party Event in April 2020.
Opens: September 1st, 2019
Closes: December 1st, 2019
The competition accepts previously unpublished work in any style, form, or genre.
no more than 5,000 words
limit of 5 poems per entry
All work entered will be considered for publication in The Phoenix.
Please include a cover letter with your name, address, phone number, e-mail address, and title(s).
For more information contact: Marissa.Schwalm@pfeiffer.edu
All decisions of the judges are final. The judges reserve the right to withhold any prize if they feel it necessary to do so.
To read the complete guidelines and to submit click here: PICMA Emerging Writer Contest.
*PICMA will again host competitions in Speech and Music in Spring 2020. Please check back for information on those events.
Juried Art Competition
High School students are encouraged to enter pieces of their choosing in painting, drawing, printmaking, photography, ceramics, sculpture, mixed media, or graphic design.
Submissions are due by Spring, 2020.
All accepted pieces will be displayed on Pfeiffer’s campus during the Spring 2020 semester.
The prizes will be as follows:
Best in Show: $1000, a $5000/year scholarship to Pfeiffer University pending acceptance to the University.
Second Prize: $500, a $3000/year scholarship to Pfeiffer University pending acceptance to the University.
Third Prize: $250, a $2000/year scholarship to Pfeiffer University pending acceptance to the University.
*Scholarships may only be used at Pfeiffer University pending acceptance to the University. Students may enter more than one competition. Only one scholarship will be awarded. Winning students who matriculate at Pfeiffer will be expected to participate in activities in the area of granted scholarships while studying at Pfeiffer University.
All decisions of the judges are final.
For questions, email PICMA@pfeiffer.edu.