- Download Music Department Forms
Auditions and Scholarships
Music scholarships, awarded based on audition outcomes, are available for Pfeiffer University students. Auditions are conducted on Falcon Preview Days or by appointment on another date with the Department of Music. Falcon Preview Dates for 2012 are Jan. 21 and April 14; auditions take place in Henry Pfeiffer Chapel. To schedule an audition on one of these dates or at a different time, call or email:
|Director of Choral and Vocal Music|
|Office: (704) 463-3148|
|Cell: (704) 737-8864|
A scholarship audition serves also as the audition for the Department of Music; to receive a scholarship a student must declare a music major. Students who wish to enroll at Pfeiffer University as a music major must apply separately to the University (through the Office of Admissions) and the Department of Music. Admission to the University does not guarantee acceptance as a music major or vice versa.
Before your audition:
- Choose a short solo with the help of your director or private teacher.(No sight reading is required.) A selection from an all-district, all-county or honors chorus audition is fine. Percussionists may demonstrate their skills on snare, mallets, timpani and/or trap set. Auditions at Pfeiffer are designed to signal your potential in music; relax and perform your best.
- If your audition is on a Falcon Preview Day, it will be arranged to fit in the day's schedule. The Department of Music will coordinate audition times with the Office of Admissions, so please confirm your audition time several days in advance with one of the music department contacts listed above.
When you arrive:
- Proceed to Henry Pfeiffer Chapel located on the south side of campus. Someone will direct you to Dr. Kirby or Mr. Judge.
- Listen to the presentation about Pfeiffer University and take a campus tour. You'll have time to warm up before your audition.
- Parents are encouraged to participate in Falcon Preview Day activities designed for their interests (including financial aid).
Samples from Pfeiffer music students.
Festival Piece on St. Anne
When I Survey the Wondrous Cross
Praise to the Lord Almighty
With a Voice of Singing
When in Music God is Glorified
Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing
Pfeiffer University Choral Ensembles are open to all students, including non-music majors. The groups perform regularly at a variety of venues. Some ensembles require an audition. Contact Joseph Judge for more information.
Mixed ensemble that performs a variety of choral music including short form and major works with an orchestra.
A select ensemble that performs a variety of A cappella vocal music. Audition required.
Pfeiffer University is very fortunate to have an outstanding handbell choir. The University Bell Choir has been performing on and off campus for over 20 years. The choir performs a wide variety of sacred and secular music on five octaves of English handbells. The bell choir is open to all students by audition. An ability to read music, especially rhythms is required.
Pfeiffer University Instrumental Ensembles are open to all students, including non-music majors. The groups perform regularly at a variety of venues. Some ensembles require an audition. Contact David Kirby for more information.
An ensemble of 35-50 musicians performing original masterworks and transcriptions for wind band. The Wind Ensemble tours to perform for public schools throughout the region.
A standard big-band that performs modern jazz arrangements and compositions as well as big band classics. The Jazz Ensemble tours to regional jazz festivals and to perform for public school students. By audition or invitation.
A smaller jazz group focusing on improvisation. The Jazz Combo performs at many campus functions. By audition or invitation.
Brass Chamber Music
Brass chamber ensembles include Horn Ensemble, Low Brass Ensemble, and Brass Quintet. These ensembles perform on campus and throughout the community. By audition or invitation.
Woodwind Chamber Music
Woodwind chamber ensembles include Flute Ensemble, Clarinet Ensemble, Saxophone Ensemble, and Woodwind Quintet. These ensembles perform on campus and throughout the community. By audition or invitation.
The Percussion Ensemble performs arrangements and original compositions for percussion instruments. Open to all students with permission of director.