Pfeiffer University Web, Internet and Social Media Policies
The policies, in conjunction with the style guidelines, are designed to help the university create a clear and consistent identity on the Pfeiffer University web site and to help create pages that communicate clearly, that display properly with commonly used web browsers and some text-only browsers, and that utilize the elements of the university's visual identity properly.
Legal and Policy Issues
Campus Web sites must comply with all university policies, rules, and regulations, and local, state, and federal laws. The primary campus policies applying to Web sites are provided through the Web Publishing Policy.
Use of Copyrighted Materials
Written permission will be obtained for use of copyrighted materials, with the clear understanding on the part of the copyright holder that these materials will be used on the Web. This applies to the use of text, logos, photographs, drawings, video clips, sound clips, or other copyrighted materials.
Official University Web Sites
Official University Web sites are defined as Web sites or Web pages created by Pfeiffer University entities including, but not limited to, its colleges, schools, departments, research centers, and administrative offices and purporting to represent the University.
Guidelines for the Internet and Social Media Usage
The following are guidelines and policies to assist the Pfeiffer University campus community to better understand how the university's confidentiality, privacy and professionalism policies are applicable to the use of new communications technologies such as Pfeiffer University's web site, the Internet, and social media platforms and networking sites (like Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, blogs).
Pfeiffer University encourages the use of social media, blogs and the Internet for use in a professional, academic and appropriate way when posts, sites and blogs reference Pfeiffer University. Social networks and web sites are excellent vehicles for Pfeiffer University to share knowledge and connect with key audiences, but because these mediums are evolving daily the following polices are important. These guidelines were modified from well-respected industry sources to provide guidance on the effective use of these tools in a way that protects personal and professional reputations and promotes accuracy and professionalism.
The following policies apply to material Pfeiffer University's marketing, alumni, human resources, academic affairs, the communications offices, and others post on Pfeiffer-related web sites, blogs and social network sites like the university's Facebook fan page. Please see the following policies and refer to the Pfeiffer University Web Policy for further information. Current policies and procedures are as follows:
- For members of the Pfeiffer University community who are developing, or have developed, a web site or blog that will reference Pfeiffer University in any way, a disclaimer must be included that clearly states the views expressed on the blog or web site are the creator's and do not represent the views of Pfeiffer University.
- For those who are developing a web site or blog for university or personal use that references or names Pfeiffer University: as a courtesy, please inform your professor, advisor or supervisor.
- Unless you are given permission by the Offices of the President, academic affairs or communications, or your supervisor, you are not authorized to speak on behalf of Pfeiffer University.
- You may not post or share information about Pfeiffer University that is confidential and proprietary. This includes information about research, finances, trademarks, strategies, and any other information that has not been publicly released by the university. If you have questions concerning this matter or whether information has been released publicly, discuss specifics with your supervisor, the human resources or communications offices prior to releasing information.
- The Pfeiffer University logo, word mark, seal or name may not be used on personal blogs or web sites without explicit permission in writing (email communication is acceptable) from officials in the offices of marketing, communications or human resources.
- Do not post or write content that is inflammatory or disrespectful to colleagues or the members of the Pfeiffer University community or its partners. Misrepresentation, derogatory statements or the unauthorized use of copyrighted materials is not allowed and can result in disciplinary action.
- Write or post only accurate, knowledgeable and professional, spell-checked content.
- Honor the privacy and/or FERPA policies as it relates to Pfeiffer University's students, staff, faculty, alumni and partners by seeking their permission before writing, posting or displaying internal university occurrences that might be considered to be a breach of their privacy and confidentiality.
- Social media sites, web pages, blogs, groups or similar community internet destinations created by individuals working in an official capacity as representatives of Pfeiffer University or related entities thereof are solely the property of Pfeiffer University. Individuals who create such ventures should, upon request or at the end of said person's official relationship with Pfeiffer University, turn over all rights, privileges, and access thereto appertaining to the administration of Pfeiffer University.
Facebook and Social Networking Policy
The Pfeiffer University Facebook fan page is a site that allows alumni, students, the campus community, parents, friends of the university and others to engage and encourage school spirit and to learn more about some of the great things happening at Pfeiffer.
Although we welcome visitors and fans to post comments, we ask that everyone demonstrate respect for other users. We ask all fans to embrace the university's policy when posting to the site, and we do not promote commercial products or allow messages that endorse products or the selling of merchandise. Pfeiffer University reserves the right to delete comments that are viewed as negative and disruptive and will ban users from posting to the page.
Third-party comments posted and displayed on the Pfeiffer University Facebook fan page do not reflect the opinions or policies of the university or its officials. Pfeiffer encourages users to utilize the link provided by Facebook that offers users to report content, material or posts they find offensive.