Pfeiffer University News
Pfeiffer University will “Rejoice!” with two special anniversary concerts
- Published on Thursday, October 14, 2010 ( 11:41 am )
Debut of a new composition to celebrate the university’s 125th birthday will be performed
As Pfeiffer University continues its 125th anniversary celebration, the Pfeiffer Concert Choir and Wind Ensembles will present two important public performances. A special commissioned piece will be featured to commemorate the university’s historic milestone.
The first performance will be held at 7 p.m. on Saturday, Oct. 30, in the Henry Pfeiffer Chapel on the Misenheimer campus. The event is free and open to the public. The second concert will be held at 7:30 p.m. on Thursday, Nov. 4 at the J.E. Broyhill Civic Center in Lenoir, N.C. Held in Caldwell County, this concert will not only celebrate the university’s milestone anniversary, but also the centennial of the institution’s move from Caldwell County to its current location in Misenheimer.
The concert choir, directed by Joseph Judge, director of choral activities at Pfeiffer, and the wind ensemble will be joined by Pfeiffer alumni to present a concert of inspirational music and readings. Musical selections will include Martin Shaw’s “With a Voice of Singing,” Gilbert Martin’s “When I Survey the Wondrous Cross,” and Mack Wilberg’s “Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing.”
The Pfeiffer University Wind Ensemble, directed by David Kirby, director of instrumental music at Pfeiffer, will premiere an exciting new work titled “Rejoice!,” based on the John Wesley hymn “Rejoice the Lord is King,” composed for the occasion by Ed Kiefer, former director of instrumental music at Pfeiffer.
Before what is now known as Pfeiffer University moved to its current location in Stanly County, the school’s home was in Caldwell County, where it was one of at least 15 schools founded by Emily C. Prudden between c. 1885 and 1909. Pfeiffer developed from the Oberlin Home and School, which began at Lick Mountain near Hudson, N.C. in Caldwell County. In 1903, the Woman's Home Missionary Society of the Methodist Episcopal Church agreed to assume responsibility for the property. Following the transfer of 37 acres and two buildings on June 8, 1903, the Oberlin school was renamed the Ebenezer Mitchell Home and School.
A fire on Jan. 14, 1908 led to the relocation of the Mitchell Home and School. The structure housing faculty and students was destroyed and the school moved to temporary quarters in nearby Lenoir. These quarters soon proved inadequate. The school then moved to Misenheimer in February 1910 with the acquisition of the present property, where a new and spacious building was constructed.
In 1935, the school became known as Pfeiffer Junior College and, during the 1954-55 academic year, the institution began offering a four-year curriculum. In 1996, university status was granted and the college became Pfeiffer University. The Charlotte campus opened in 1977 and the university established a campus in the Research Triangle Park in 2004. Pfeiffer also offers dozens of programs at locations across the state and online.
Established in 1885, Pfeiffer University is celebrating its 125th anniversary this year. A comprehensive United Methodist-related university, with multiple campuses, including Misenheimer, Charlotte and the Triangle, Pfeiffer is committed to educational excellence, service and scholarship. For more news and updates, visit Pfeiffer on Facebook at www.facebook.com/pfeifferuniversity.