Pfeiffer University News
Pfeiffer celebrates adult graduates, their sacrifices during commencement ceremony Aug. 8
- Published on Sunday, July 26, 2009 ( 1:19 pm )
In a new economy where unemployment is at a record high, many individuals feel the need to revise or acquire job skills, pursue a new career, or simply the desire to learn. More than six-million adult students have returned to college in the last decade, and many make tremendous sacrifices to complete their well-earned degrees.
To salute its adult learners, Pfeiffer University will celebrate more than 700 adult students who have completed programs in the Schools of Graduate Studies and Adult Studies. Due to expected large crowds, the university will host three graduation ceremonies at the Stanly County Agri-Civic Center on Saturday, Aug. 8.
As more convenient ways to deliver higher education to adults develop and the interest in lifelong learning persists, Pfeiffer officials say they will continue all graduation ceremonies, which have become equally important to adult learners as the traditional May and June events are to teenagers and 20-somethings.
"Our adult learners make incredible sacrifices to earn degrees. Attending college as an adult is often much more
challenging due to family obligations, careers and demanding schedules," said Dr. Tracy Espy, provost and vice
president of academic affairs. "We recognize their hard work and commitment, and as a result, we will continue
to honor our adult graduates in this very special way."
Degrees representing 14 academic disciplines will be conferred upon adult learners, who will be adorned in ceremonial regalia and looked upon by hundreds of family members and friends. One-by-one graduates will step onto the stage to receive their well-deserved diplomas and a handshake from Pfeiffer President Dr. Chuck Ambrose, who will deliver the keynote address.
The 10:30 a.m. ceremony consists of the following groups and majors:
- All School of Religion graduates (MCE) - all locations.
- All School of Education graduates (MSEE and MAT) - all locations.
- Charlotte-area School of Business graduate students (MBA, MHA, MSL, MBA/MHA, MBA/MSL). This normally includes the Charlotte campus, Lake Norman, Presbyterian, Lake Norman, Northeast Medical Center and Misenheimer campuses.
The 1:30 p.m. ceremony consists of the following groups and majors:
- Triangle and Regional-based School of Business graduate students (MBA, MHA, MSL, MBA/MHA, MBA/MSL). This normally includes the Triangle campus, BCBSNC (Durham and Madison Park), Wake Med, First Citizens, Forsyth, Greensboro/Moses Cone/Fire Department Training Center, and all online graduate students.
The 4:30 ceremony will be held for School of Adult Studies undergraduate students -- all locations and all majors.
For the 4:30 ceremony, graduates will line up by 4 p.m.
Established in 1885, Pfeiffer University is a comprehensive United Methodist-related university, with multiple campuses, including Misenheimer, Charlotte and the Triangle, committed to educational excellence, service and scholarship. Visit Pfeiffer online at www.pfeiffer.edu/.
Pfeiffer Students Present at Social Studies Conference
February 28, 2014
Pfeiffer Accounting Students Available to Prepare Income Taxes through IRS Program
February 25, 2014