int hdr

Undergraduate Requirements for International Students

Universities in North Carolina for International Students In addition to the admissions requirements listed above, international students must also submit the following:

  1. Course by course evaluation of all foreign college/university transcripts. Pfeiffer University accepts transcript evaluations from the following agencies:

    International Education Evaluation, Harrisburg, NC (704) 455-6154 or

    World Education Services, New York, NY (212) 966-6311 or

  2. A copy of your I-20 if currently studying in the U.S
  3. A copy of your passport, visa and I-94 card if already in the U.S.
  4. Affidavit of Financial Support: Submit a letter from your bank (or sponsor's bank) that indicates your account balance (in U.S. dollars). Your bank letter must show you or a sponsor is capable of supporting your educational and living expenses for one year.
  5. Proof of English proficiency

Contact Jonathan Beam, Director of Graduate Admissions at .

Listed below are the steps involved when transferring to Pfeiffer:

  1. Submit an application for admission to Pfeiffer University
  2. Submit transcripts showing you are qualified academically
  3. Submit graduate test scores if you are applying to the graduate program (GRE, GMAT, MAT, etc.)
  4. Submit three letters of recommendation if you are applying to the MBA program
  5. Submit evidence of English proficiency. A basic requirement for successful study in the United States is the ability to communicate in English. International students applying to the university must use one of the following methods to show that they have an appropriate level of English proficiency:

Pfeiffer accepts ANY of the following as proof of English proficiency.

Undergraduate Program

a.  TOEFL score of at least 500 PBT/173 CBT/61 IBT, taken at an official ETS testing center and NOT in-house; i.e., at a university
b.  IELTS score of at least 5.0
c.  Completion of 60 semester hours at a US university
d.  Completion of four years at a US high school
e.  Completion of an appropriate level in an ESL program which, according to the ESL school, is sufficient for the undergraduate level of university study.
f.   English as a first language, reinforced with an SAT score
g.  CEFR score of C1 (minimum)

Graduate Program

a.  TOEFL score of at least 550 PBT/213 CBT/79-80 IBT, taken at an official ETS testing center and NOT in-house; i.e., at a university
b.  IELTS score of at least 6.0
c.  Completion of a bachelor's degree at a US university
d.  Completion of an appropriate level in an ESL program which, according to the ESL school, is sufficient for the graduate level of university study.
e.  CEFR score of C1 (minimum)

NOTE:  The TOEFL is given in most countries around the world on computer (the paper based version is being phased out).  The test is offered on many days during the month, but only at a limited number of computer centers.  You may have to travel some distance to reach the nearest test center.  Pre-registration is required.  The TOEFL uses a multiple choice and essay format to measure each examinee's ability to understand North American English.  The test is divided into four sections:  listening, structure, reading, and writing.  The writing section requires the test taker to write an essay.  The total number of questions you answer correctly and your score on the essay form the raw scores for each section.

5.  Submit proof of financial support sufficient to cover your first year's expenses including living expenses. CHECK WITH THE ADMISSIONS 0FFICE FOR THE TOTAL AMOUNT YOU NEED TO DOCUMENT.  ALL CURRENCY LISTED SHOULD BE IN US DOLLARS. You will be sent a Statement of Financial Support Form.  You can download this form by going to and clicking on “Forms.”    We will also need bank statements showing the availability of funds.  Make a copy of this documentation before you send it to Pfeiffer, because you will need it when you apply for your visa and also when you arrive in the United States at the port of entry.

Once you receive your I-20, go online to to pay the SEVIS fee ($200) with a credit card.  Be sure to print your receipt because you will need it at the visa interview.

If transferring to Pfeiffer from another school in the U.S.

  1. Inform your present school of your intention to transfer to Pfeiffer University.  Your current school must release your SEVIS record by “transferring it out” to Pfeiffer.  We cannot prepare your new I-20 until this release occurs.  
  2. Ask your present school to complete Section III of the “Request for Transfer” form and send it to the International Center.  This form can be downloaded and printed from the university's main website at  Click on “Forms” and then select “Request for Transfer Form.” 
    Your present school may ask you to sign a form giving them the authorization to transfer your SEVIS record to Pfeiffer or they may ask for a copy of your acceptance letter to Pfeiffer.  Also, be sure to tell them whether you will be enrolled at the Misenheimer, Charlotte, or Raleigh/Durham campus. 
  3. After you have been accepted and submitted the necessary documents, Pfeiffer will send you an updated I-20.  Please read over this document carefully, particularly page 2 which outlines your responsibilities as an F-l student.  Finally, once you arrive on campus, it is very important that you bring your passport, I-94, I-20, and SEVIS fee receipt to the International Center so that we can make copies for your student file.

If returning to the U.S.

If you are overseas and your visa has expired, or you changed to student status while in the United States and do not have an F-1 visa, you must renew it, or apply for one, BEFORE re-entering the United States.Find your SEVIS fee receipt (paid the first time you applied for F-1 status) , the I-20 Pfeiffer sent you, your passport, and all proof of financial ability to the United States consulate or embassy that has jurisdiction over your place of residence abroad.  During your interview (required) with the consular/embassy official, you will need to demonstrate that:

  1. You are a bona fide student.  The officer will look at your educational background and plans in order to assess how likely you are to enroll and remain in college until graduation.  Be prepared to discuss the reasons you chose a particular college, your anticipated major, and your career plans.  Bring school transcripts, national examination results, and SAT or TOEFL scores.
  2. You have sufficient funds to cover all expenses while in the United States.  The U.S. government needs assurance that you won't drop out of school or take a job illegally.  Provide solid evidence of your sponsor's finances especially sources and amounts of income.  This assures the consular officer that adequate funds will be available throughout your four-year college program.
  3. You have a residence in your home country to which you intend to return.  Are your ties to home so strong that you will not want to remain permanently in the United States?  Consular officers are required by the U.S. State Department to consider all applicants for visas as having the intention to remain in the United States  after completing their studies unless and  until applicants convince the consular officer that they do not.  Overall, you must be able to show that your reasons for returning home are stronger than those for remaining in the United States.  You must demonstrate sufficient economic, family and social ties to your place of residence to ensure that your stay in the United States will be temporary.  Economic ties include your family's economic position, property you may own or stand to inherit, and your own economic potential when you come home after completing your education.  The consular officer may be impressed to see evidence of your career planning.  

If the consular officer approves your application, he will stamp an F-1 visa on a page inside your passport.
Next, you must apply at a port of entry for admission to the United States by:

  1. presenting a passport (valid for at least more six months)
  2. presenting a an F-1 visa which has Pfeiffer listed in the annotation (if a new student)
  3. producing the I-20 issued by Pfeiffer and signed by you
  4. showing evidence of financial support and supporting documentation
  5. convincing the immigration inspector that you are qualified in all ways to be admitted as an F-1 student

If the immigration inspector approves your entry into the United States, you will be issued an I-94 Form which indicates:

  1. the date and place of entry
  2. your status (should be F-1)
  3. an unique 11 digit identification number
  4. D/S or “duration of status” (means you are admitted to the United States for
  5. the length of time required to complete a specific program; this completion date is indicated on the I-20.  If your I-94 does not have D/S, contact someone in the International Center immediately.

The immigration inspector will stamp the top page of your I-20.  NOTE: this is a very important document. You will need your I-20 anytime you travel outside the United States.  Page 3 of this form must be signed by a DSO in the International Center at least every 12 months, preferably every 6 months, especially if you will be traveling outside the US.

Once you arrive on campus, bring your passport, I-94, I-20, and SEVIS fee receipt to the International Center so that we can make copies for your student file.

Share this on your favorite sites: