Prepare for Your Career
Pfeiffer graduates are skilled, adaptable and globally aware.
Pfeiffer graduates are committed to lifelong learning. Pfeiffer graduates are active citizens driven to serve.
As a Pfeiffer graduate, you are prepared to start your career. It’s the deliberate preparation for your job search that helps you land a rewarding job and set your career in motion.
Follow these tips to help you prepare a impressive resume:
- Invest time carefully preparing your resume first draft.
- Compare your first draft to sample resumes in your industry.
- Ask several different people to review your resume.
- Get a critique from Pfeiffer Career Services and your faculty mentor.
- Write your final draft, taking into consideration the critiques you received.
- Ask a friend to review the final draft for typos.
Follow these tips to craft an engaging, well-written cover letter:
- Follow the process described above (for resumes).
- Keep your cover letter short (half a page or less) and to the point.
- Create a basic cover letter that you will customize for each position.
- Research the position and company; tailor your letter appropriately.
- Always have another person proofread your cover letter final draft.
Interview preparation is essential. Your performance in your first interview may determine if you receive a second round interview or an offer. Researching the company, preparing responses to potential interview questions and focusing on your professional demeanor positively impact your interviewing ability.
Employment offers come in many forms: in writing, over the phone or in person. If you are interested in the position, you may accept immediately. However, you may want to take some time to consider the offer.
Meet with an advisor to review and discuss your offer.
Graduate Student Resources
Looking to continue your education in graduate or professional school?
- Learn test-taking skills
- Take practice tests for the GRE and Millers Analogies Test
- Schedule testing
Attend the career success workshops throughout the year, and seek guidance from the Career Services Office.
Director of Internships and Career Planning
Office of Career Services and Internships
Office Hours: Mon.-Fri., 8:30 a.m.-5 p.m.
Email or call to request weekend or evening appointments.