Master of Health Administration (MHA)
Imagine a better healthcare system. Be a leader for positive change.
Gain the leadership skills required for a successful health administration career through Pfeiffer University’s master's in health administration program, the largest MHA program in the Carolinas. Alumni hold positions of leadership in every major healthcare organization in North and South Carolina.
The curriculum combines rigorous business and healthcare administration academics with practical experience for mastering the managerial, financial, legal and ethical considerations of today's competitive health services environment — while focusing on responsibility and ethical decision-making.
This program provides international study abroad opportunities in Canada, Austria and Germany.
Ranked a top Online Master's in Healthcare Administration in the United States!
This program is designed for working adults. Set your own pace with flexible classroom scheduling in Charlotte, Raleigh-Durham and online.
A health services administration certificate for post-graduate continuing education is also available.
The program requires 36 semester hours (SH), which is 12 courses in total. If you are interested in pursuing a joint degree, follow the links provided below to learn more:
Master of Health Administration Curriculum
Core Courses (36 SH)
The first eight courses listed below are mandatory and must be taken first:
- MBA 701 Organizational Communications
- MHA 710 Contemporary Health Administration
- MHA 715 Legal and Ethical Perspectives in Healthcare Administration
- MHA 725 Health Services Policy
- MHA 730 Health Economics
- MHA 735 Health Services Information Management
- MHA 737 Health Services Marketing
- MHA 740 Health Services Financial Management
After the first eight courses have been completed, choose one of the following:
- MHA 776 Comparative International Health, or
- MHA 777 Comparative International Health Study
Then you choose one of the following:
- MHA 790 Practicum in Health Administration, or
- MHA 795 Applied Research in Health Administration
Your eleventh course will be:
MHA 799 Strategic Health Services Management
To complete your degree, take one three-credit hour course from the MSL curriculum subject to specified course prerequisite requirements.
For descriptions of courses, visit the academic catalog.
- A completed Pfeiffer University graduate application for admission
- A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university with a satisfactory grade point average
- Satisfactory undergraduate prerequisite requirements
- Official transcripts from all colleges or universities previously attended
- Three letters of recommendation
The MHA program is a 36-semester hour course of study. Each student must have an individual email address and access to the Internet in addition to working knowledge of word processing, database and spreadsheet software.
MHA 790 is an applied field experience, typically conducted under the direction of a senior manager at the student's workplace. MHA 776 takes place between semesters and consists of a 7-10 day foreign study experience in Canada, England, Austria, Germany or another destination.
Tuition & Fees
Interested in advancing your career in the healthcare industry? Ready to take on more responsibility? Pfeiffer’s MHA program will prepare you for leadership positions in all areas of health care: hospitals, ambulatory care, mental health, public health, practice management, government policy, long term care, managed care and insurance.
Ready to get started? Apply now.
Graduate and Degree Completion Enrollment
Have questions? Just ask!