Frequently Asked Questions
What is the QEP?
- The Pfeiffer University Quality Enhancement Plan (QEP), Engaging Students to Think Critically, is a composite of both
- Engaged learning and Critical thinking.
- The overall goal of the QEP is to enhance student learning in the area of critical thinking through increased engagement across the curriculum.
How will the QEP effect Pfeiffer?
- Enhanced student learning
- Increase in Critical Thinking skills among students
- Increased engagement in courses
- Innovation in pedagogical strategies
- Collaboration between faculty and students within and outside of the classroom
What is expected of students?
- Students will also become more self-reflective in terms of their thinking and attention to the QEP related student learning outcomes.
- Students will play a crucial role in encouraging/demonstrating to other students the benefits of engagement and critical thinking.
- Students will take the lead in independent research.
What is expected of faculty?
- Participate in training and faculty development
- Train other faculty members
- Learn to interpret and evaluate the CAT (Critical Thinking Assessment Test)
- Incorporate the rubrics into their courses to better assess which assignments include engaged learning and foster critical thinking
- Be reflective about current pedagogy
- Be intentional about revising current courses and/or introducing new curriculum which better supports the QEP.
What is SACS?
- The Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges is the regional body for the accreditation of degree-granting higher education institutions in the Southern states. The Commission's mission is the enhancement of educational quality throughout the region and it strives to improve the effectiveness of institutions by ensuring that institutions meet standards established by the higher education community that address the needs of society and students. It serves as the common denominator of shared values and practices among the diverse institutions in Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia and Latin America and other international sites approved by the Commission on Colleges that award associate, baccalaureate, master's or doctoral degrees. The Commission also accepts applications from other international institutions of higher education.
- Learn more about SACS.
What are the SACS requirements for the QEP?
- A general description of reaffirmation process and the role of the Quality Enhancement Plan can be found at http://www.sacscoc.org/genaccproc.asp.