Internships offer the experience and training that college students may lack. Students are encouraged to apply for internship experiences. Career Services offers students assistance in this endeavor, as well as exclusive opportunities with radio stations, TV stations, working in print media, public relations and a host of other wonderful opportunites.
- NBC News Channel
- Fox Charlotte News
- Fox Charlotte Sports
- The Source Magazine
- The Charlotte Bobcats
- Lowes Motor Speedway
- Old North State Club, Public Relations
- United Way
- Stanly County Chamber of Commerce
- Stanly News and Press
- Cabarrus County Arts
- Stanly County Courts
- Cabarrus County Teen Court
- Cabarrus County Mediation Center
Visit the Career Services web page for more information.
Communication degrees continue to open the door to careers relating to the Internet and cyberspace. Web maintenance and home page development is an often seen opportunity for communication graduates. Other job possibilities are listed below.
The Communication Department at Pfeiffer University provides a major that offers a sound academic experience that can support their workforce aspirations as a communication professional or the foundation to continue their education in graduate school.
This is a path that provides students the opportunity to learn while developing the values of servant leadership and the preparation to become active, thoughtful citizens of the 21st century. This major offers three possible areas of concentration from which to choose: digital media, journalism or professional communication.
- Digital: Those choosing digital communication will study the theory and production behind digital media communication including audio, video, and multimedia design. Students will write and develop digital products and examine the global social networks created through digital media.
- Journalism: Those choosing journalism learn to report events in a responsible and ethical manner. Combining classroom work with writing for publication, students learn both the mechanics and the craft of reporting.
- Professional Communication: Those choosing professional communication will develop an awareness of organizational systems and channels of communication, how these impact problem solving decision making and innovation, develop skills in assessing effective communication practices in a variety of context and prepare themselves to be effective human relations practitioners.
We seek to develop an overall awareness of the centrality of communication in creating meaning in our lives. We encourage our students to respect the power of communication. We believe that communication transforms lives, advocates for new possibilities, and shapes society.
We prepare students to become lifelong learners and proactive in seeking to satisfy their innate curiosity.
Student Learning Outcomes
The department fosters the development of oral and written communication skills essential in the constantly changing job market while also developing the broad knowledge base characterizing the liberally educated graduate. Internships at radio or television stations, newspapers, companies and institutions across the community help students gain valuable job experience and make contacts in the professional world. Successful graduates of Pfeiffer's Communication Studies curriculum will possess skills in speaking, writing, computing, analysis, research and critical thinking.
The Falcon's Eye is Pfeiffer University's student newspaper. We publish monthly during the fall and spring sessions. The Falcon's Eye is a designated forum for free speech, and students of any major are free to become part of the newspaper's staff.
For more information on the Falcon's Eye or to submit a letter to the editor, contact:
030 Stokes Student Center